Campus FAQ

Here are some of the most frequently asked questions. If you cannot find the answer to your question on the website please email Courtne Jones or call us at 800-388-2272 x115.

Which schools are eligible?

All 4-year, degree-granting Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) in the continental United States. That is a pool of 91 institutions. Institutional enrollment is open once a year over the summer. The HBCU president or chancellor must complete the enrollment form naming a campus coordinator.

What does the campus program cost?

Your only costs are:
Providing a dedicated laptop computer and external monitor with which to play the game
A lockout signal system (optional)
Publicity and staging

The program supplies:
A computerized Game Play Database with 5,000+ questions
Customizable promo materials
Questions for contests, newspaper quizzes, and to play at campus sporting events or on campus video screens
Resources for recruiting and engaging students
Study guides and information to help players acquire knowledge
Resources for team practice and tips on preparing
Tools for training game officials

How do we qualify for the National Championship?

Part 1 Qualification takes place during the fall term with a deadline in December.
HBCUs must conduct Power Searches and submit scoresheets and other materials by the deadline.

HBCUs may either:
Conduct an HCASC Campus Tournament with 8 or more teams (24 students), or
Have an HCASC Club with 12 or more students who meet regularly

Part 2 Qualification takes place early in the spring term with a deadline in January.
HBCUs name their team and submit eligibility materials.

HBCU teams must attend a National Qualifying Tournament to be eligible for consideration. Effective with the 2023 - 2024 season, 75% of the teams for the NCT are determined based on their play at those tournaments, The remaining 25% are selected to balance the field and ensure that HBCUs have an NCT experience at least every few years.

For additional info about institutional participation, consult the Rules Governing Participation.

What is a Power Search?

A Power Search is a quick 20 question quiz which students can take to see the types of information in HCASC questions. This give the coach a chance to assess the knowledge base of potential players.

A Power Search is conducted in written form and the sheets are scored. You can promote and run the Power Search in dormitories, in classrooms, at club, fraternity and sorority meetings, in the student union, etc.

We supply 10 Power Search quizzes, so it is possible to have a large number of students try out for HCASC.

If qualifying with a campus tournament, at least 75 students must take a Power Search (for HBCUs with less than 750 students, the minimum is 50).

If qualifying with an HCASC Club, at least 100 students must take a Power Search (for HBCUs with less than 750 students, the minimum is 50).

Use Stillman College as an example of getting the word out campus-wide. They have less than 1,000 students and conducted Power Searches with 200 students!